Once every four years member associations of the World YWCA gather together for the World Council meeting. The World Council is the highest decision and policy-making body of the global movement of the YWCA. This year, the 29th World Council will be held in Johannesburg, South Africa, from 17 to 22 November 2019. It is expected that between 300 and 500 delegates and observers from different countries across the world will take part in this most important meeting in the life of the YWCA movement!
The YWCA World Council, apart from being a governance meeting, is also other things. It provides an opportunity for collective discernment of the global situation and how the YWCA can creatively and more effectively address global challenges. It offers a space for mutual learning and the sharing of stories. It is a space to build community, nurture friendships and develop new leaders. Adding all this together, the World Council has the power to regenerate the worldwide movement of the YWCA, strengthen its impact at community, national and global levels and transform lives.
This virtual site will accompany the journey to World Council and serve a number of purposes:
- Provide an overview of the World Council process – before, during and after World Council;
- Facilitate the registration of delegates;
- Serve as a repository of information, programmatic and logistical;
- Enable access to World Council documents and resources;
- Invite sponsorships and donations for World Council, and
- Give the latest news on the preparations and a preview of what awaits those travelling to South Africa for the 29th YWCA World Council.
Welcome to the 29th YWCA World Council!